Frozen Waldorf Salad
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Dash salt
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium red apples, chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Set pineapple aside. In a saucepan, combine juice with sugar, eggs and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; cool. Stir in pineapple, celery, apples and pecans. Fold in whipped cream.
- Pour into a 9-in. square pan. Cover and freeze until firm. Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before cutting. Serve on lettuce-lined plates if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 257 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Jul 3, 2019
My family and I thought this salad was delicious. I did add half a cup of dried cranberries and I used walnuts in place of pecans. Couldn't ask for a better cool summer salad. Especially good with grilled tenderloin!
Nov 30, 2014
I made this for thanksgiving and it was thumbs down for all. WAY TOO SWEET ! My son's girlfriend took to work and they also agreed. Ended up dumping it down the sink.
Jun 14, 2010
So good that I usually save it for dessert! This was my late mother-in-law's favorite fruit salad. I think she made it by the same method, so this must be a classic recipe.