Frozen Waldorf Salad
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + freezing
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Dash salt
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium red apples, chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Lettuce leaves, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving the juice. Set pineapple aside. In a saucepan, combine juice with sugar, eggs and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat; cool. Stir in pineapple, celery, apples and pecans. Fold in whipped cream.
- Pour into a 9-in. square pan. Cover and freeze until firm. Let stand at room temperature for about 15 minutes before cutting. Serve on lettuce-lined plates if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 257 calories, 15g fat (5g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 40mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 30, 2014
I made this for thanksgiving and it was thumbs down for all. WAY TOO SWEET ! My son's girlfriend took to work and they also agreed. Ended up dumping it down the sink.
Jun 14, 2010
So good that I usually save it for dessert! This was my late mother-in-law's favorite fruit salad. I think she made it by the same method, so this must be a classic recipe.