Before we five kids headed off to school each day, Mom took our requests for that day's dinner. I usually asked her to make these cookies for dessert, and she would rarely disappoint. I still enjoy them today. —Patricia Ramczyk, Appleton, Wisconsin
Featured In: Mom's Best Cookie Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 9 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 to 8 tablespoons milk
- In a mixing bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar. Beat in egg, milk and vanilla. Beat in chocolate until blended. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts. Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes or until firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies. Yield: 5-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Frosted Chocolate Delights in Best of Country Cookies 1999, p31
Reviews forFrosted Chocolate Delights
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 28, 2015
"Good chocolate cookies."
Reviewed Mar. 4, 2013
"I substituted cocoa (6 TB +2T oil). They are very good."