Chocolate-Dipped Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
I created this recipe based on our family's love of chocolate-dipped ice cream cones. Red heart-shaped sprinkles make them fun for Valentine's Day. Vary the color to match the occasion. —Jennifer Gilbert, Brighton, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package French vanilla or yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 24 ice cream cake cones (about 3 inches tall)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Colored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 24 mini-muffin cups. Stand ice cream cones in additional mini-muffin cups.
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions. Fill each greased muffin cup with 1 tablespoon batter. Divide remaining batter among ice cream cones (scant 2 tablespoons each).
- Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Transfer both plain and cone cupcakes to wire racks; cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter and shortening until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, spread a small amount of frosting on bottom of each plain cupcake; attach to top of a cone cupcake. Spread remaining frosting over top cupcakes, rounding tops to resemble a scoop of ice cream. Freeze until frosting is firm, 5-10 minutes.
- For glaze, in a large metal bowl over simmering water, melt chocolate and shortening, stirring until smooth. Dip tops of cones in chocolate mixture. Decorate with sprinkles. Let stand until set.