Chocolate-Dipped Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
I created this recipe based on our family's love of chocolate-dipped ice cream cones. Red heart-shaped sprinkles make them fun for Valentine's Day. Vary the color to match the occasion. —Jennifer Gilbert, Brighton, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package French vanilla or yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 24 ice cream cake cones (about 3 inches tall)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup shortening
- Colored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 24 mini-muffin cups. Stand ice cream cones in additional mini-muffin cups.
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions. Fill each greased muffin cup with 1 tablespoon batter. Divide remaining batter among ice cream cones (scant 2 tablespoons each).
- Bake until a knife inserted in center comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool in pans 5 minutes. Transfer both plain and cone cupcakes to wire racks; cool completely.
- For frosting, beat butter and shortening until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- To assemble, spread a small amount of frosting on bottom of each plain cupcake; attach to top of a cone cupcake. Spread remaining frosting over top cupcakes, rounding tops to resemble a scoop of ice cream. Freeze until frosting is firm, 5-10 minutes.
- For glaze, in a large metal bowl over simmering water, melt chocolate and shortening, stirring until smooth. Dip tops of cones in chocolate mixture. Decorate with sprinkles. Let stand until set.
Originally published as Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017