- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large Nellie’s Free Range Eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into creamed mixture just until blended.
- Transfer to a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. Frost bars. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews forFrosted Banana Bars
"These bars taste great. I like to add 1/2-3/4 cup of chopped walnuts or pecans to the bar recipe in order to add extra flavor and some crunch. I also prefer a thicker bar, so I bake this recipe in a 13x9x2-inch pan. The icing is very good and a perfect addition to these bars."
"This was very easy and made a good quantity of delicious bars. I had about 5 smaller sized bananas to use up, and this recipe was perfect. I threw in a little cinnamon & candied ginger for added flavor. Like others, I used a 15x9 pan (glass), increased time by 15 minutes, and halved the frosting. I also used a pineapple cream cheese in the frosting because I happened to have this available & needed to use it up along with the bananas! It proved to be an excellent choice for the frosting.The bars were moist and flavorful. Definitely a keeper!"
"I have made these three times and they are perfect. I substituted 1 cup of whole wheat flour and added 1/2 cup of flaxseed meal. I also cut the sugar in half and added 1/8 cup of honey. Finally, I used reduced fat cream cheese. My coworkers won't know the difference!"
"Made these over the weekend and the bars were moist, delicious and perfect to have with your morning coffee. My husband took several pieces to work and shared a piece with his co-worker and now the guy wants the recipe so his wife can make him a plateful..this recipe is definitely a keeper..."
"Made in a 13 X 9 dish. Cooked for a total of 45 min. More like a cake then bars. Halved the frosting. Getting the right size pan would be totally worth it if you would rather have the bars as the recipe is intended for. Delicious!"
"My whole family loves this recipe, including my son who may just be the pickiest eater I have ever know. My only change was I had to use a 13x9 and add 15 minutes. I guess with it being smaller, the icing gets to be a little thick for my husband who doesn't have much of a sweet tooth but I love it. Thinking about adding some spices and nuts once just for fun, but definitely not necessary for this recipe."
"Had a lot of over ripe bananas and needed a change from banana bread. This is excellent, even without the frosting."
"easy and good...will make again"
"Oh Wow! So easy and so tasty! I made my first batch for my husbands work the next day....well it didn't make it! Gotta make another batch! This is a recipe I am sharing with my daughters!"
"These bars are so moist and flavorful. I'll be fixing these again!!"