Fresh Broccoli Salad with Cranberries
“This hearty side makes a nice change-of-pace salad. It’s crunchy, creamy and simply delicious. You’d never guess it’s light!” says Dana Herbert of Goshen, Utah. HEALTHY OUTLOOK Got broccoli? If not, you should. The healthy green is an excellent source of vitamins A and C and a good source of calcium, riboflavin and iron, so eating it often definitely does a body good!
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 3/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, water chestnuts, cranberries and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, yogurt, sugar, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 144 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Fresh Broccoli Salad in Light & Tasty August/September 2007