- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for caramel sauce, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes. Serve cake warm or cold with warm caramel sauce. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forFresh Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
"Couldn't find my own old recipe so made this one. Mine is a little heavier but this was very good. I used unsalted butter and therefore should have added a little salt! Will remember to next time."
"Very easy and Yummy recipe but would advise leaving out the egg. I had to make two batches because the egg kept cooking on me before just leaving it out. Caramel sauce came out just as good and thick with out the egg :) A definite keeper!"
"added 1/2 tsp more cinnamon. Also used half brown sugar and half regular"
"This cake is so moist and delicious. We didn't even make the sauce . it was devoured in one day. The batter is very thick, but it was fine. Can't wait to make this again. It was a big hit."
"Really easy to make, everyone loved it and the caramel sauce goes so good on many things!"