Foil-Packet Potatoes and Sausage
My family enjoys camping and cooking over a fire. These hearty foil-packet potatoes turn out beautifully over a campfire, on the grill or in the oven at home. We sometimes leave out the sausage and serve the potatoes as a side dish. Either way, it’s so easy, and the spuds can be served right from the foil pouch for easy cleanup. The recipe also tastes amazing when cooked in a Dutch oven. —Julie Koets, Elkhart, Indiana
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 3 pounds red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) smoked sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Additional chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Prepare campfire or grill for medium heat. In a large bowl, toss potatoes with sausage, bacon, onion, parsley, salts and pepper.
- Divide mixture among eight 18x12-in. pieces of heavy-duty nonstick foil, placing food on dull side of foil. Fold foil around potato mixture, sealing tightly.
- Place packets over campfire or grill; cook 15 minutes on each side or until potatoes are tender. Open packets carefully to allow steam to escape. If desired, sprinkle with additional parsley.
Test Kitchen tips