Flank Steak Pinwheels
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Grill: 10 min.
- 8 bacon strips
- 1 beef flank steak (1-1/2 pounds)
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 jar (7 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- CREAM CHEESE SAUCE:
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Place bacon strips on a microwave-safe plate lined with paper towels. Cover with another paper towel; microwave on high for 2-3 minutes or until partially cooked.
- Meanwhile, cut steak horizontally from a long side to within 1/2 in. of opposite side. Open meat so it lies flat; cover with plastic wrap. Flatten to 1/4-in. thickness. Remove plastic. Place spinach over steak to within 1 in. of edges; top with red peppers.
- With the grain of the meat going from left to right, roll up jelly-roll style. Wrap bacon strips around beef; secure with toothpicks. Slice beef across the grain into eight slices.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat 5-7 minutes on each side or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Discard toothpicks.
- In a small saucepan, combine cream cheese, milk, butter and pepper. Cook and stir over low heat just until smooth (do not boil). Stir in blue cheese. Serve with pinwheels.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 509 calories, 34g fat (17g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 812mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 43g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 18, 2012
This is pretty easy to do and very tasty. We've made variations on this idea and they are all yummy!
Jul 1, 2011
this recipe is definately a winner! The only thing I have to remember when having guests to serve this to is 'do you like blue cheese?' And even if the answer is no, a garlic/herb butter to melt on top tastes fantastic as well! Highly recommend this dish!
Sep 25, 2009
Wonderful recipe. My family and guests loved it. It's a definite keeper!
Mar 21, 2008
I made this recipe with a boneless leg of lamb roast. It was absolutely delicious. I will definitely make this again.