Grilled Steak Pinwheels
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 beef flank steaks (1 pound each), trimmed
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup finely chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil or 4 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Flatten steaks to 1/4-in. In a large bowl, combine the bacon, mushrooms, onions, basil and chives; spread evenly over steaks.
- Roll the meat up and secure with skewers or toothpicks. Cut each roll into 1/2- to 3/4-in. slices and secure with a toothpick.
- Grill over medium-hot heat for 4-6 minutes on each side until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a thermometer should read 135°; medium, 140°; medium-well, 145°). Remove toothpicks.
Nutrition Facts2 pinwheels: 224 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 250mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 26g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat.
Feb 4, 2015
The steaks were kind of bland.
Oct 23, 2013
This was great!
May 31, 2012
I love this! However, if you want to grill these pinwheels sliced, you really need to MINCE all the ingredients so they will not fall out during grilling. I used larger pieces of basil and also some minced garlic. Grilled the entire flank steak with the skewers in, for about 15 minutes on one side and 5 on the other, then took them off the grill an it was still too rare inside, so I THEN sliced them into pinwheels and put them back on the grill and the ingredients did not fall out. Really a great taste. For 4 people really one flank steak is enough, but up to you. One will serve 4 with lite appetites. I served with grilled pineapple slices and tossed green salad. Nice
Apr 26, 2011
Barely any flavor and not worth the time and energy making (very messy). I mixed cream cheese and pesto and served it on top as a sauce to make it tasty.
Aug 2, 2010
The combined bacon, mushrooms, onion, basil, and chives is so amazingly delicious. Put all together it is great. I think the filling would be great with any steas just on the side.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.