Favorite Pumpkin Cake Roll
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + freezing
- 3 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- Line a 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper; grease the paper and set aside. In a large bowl, beat egg yolks on high speed until thick and lemon-colored. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and pumpkin, beating on high until sugar is almost dissolved.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold into egg yolk mixture. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gently fold into pumpkin mixture. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake at 375° until cake springs back when lightly touched, 12-15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes. Turn cake onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners’ sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Unroll cake; spread filling evenly to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up again, without towel. Cover and freeze until firm. May be frozen for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before cutting. If desired, dust with confectioners’ sugar.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 285 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 261mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 29, 2019
Everyone loved this one. It's a keeper
Nov 22, 2019
I've been making this recipe for so many years, it's the only one I use. A must try, you will be hooked along with everyone else.
Nov 10, 2019
This desert was so quick and easy to whip together. Everything needed is always in the house. It looks beautiful too. I'll make this again and again. Janet. VFE
Mar 1, 2018
I love this recipe! It is a much loved dessert in the fall and over the holidays. It looks so pretty and tastes delicious. It is always very popular!
Jan 3, 2018
Absolutely delicious !
Nov 28, 2017
I love it
Nov 21, 2017
My mom can make this
Nov 10, 2017
My family really likes this recipe, with a few exceptions. We make 2 batches and modify the batter with nutmeg and ginger, also we made the filling with 3/4 the amount of cream cheese. Helps taste the cake more.
Oct 14, 2017
My mom made this lots when I was growing up. She would often put a layer of softened ice cream in it then freeze it. It was something that always looked hard to me! I got brave and decided to make it for my family. It really isn't that hard. I followed the recipe exactly and it worked out great! I'll be making this some more!
Oct 8, 2017
Really yummy! It wasn't too difficult to make and I was really happy with how well it turned out.