- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts 2% milk
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup apricot brandy or brandy
- 1/2 cup rum
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Optional: turbinado (washed raw) sugar, ground cinnamon and pirouette cookies
- In a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly, 15 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is slightly thickened and coats the back of a spoon, 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl; cool quickly by placing bowl in ice water and stirring for 2 minutes. Stir in the brandy, rum, bourbon and vanilla. Cool completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in cream and nutmeg. If desired, mix turbinado sugar and ground cinnamon in a small bowl. Dip rim of glasses into a shallow dish of water then into the sugar mixture, pressing lightly to adhere. Fill glasses with eggnog and if desired, serve with pirouette cookies.
3/4 cup: 252 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.