Aunt Grace’s Eggnog
When I was growing up, I couldn't get enough of the nonalcoholic eggnog my aunt always prepared for us kids. Now I enjoy this adult version. —Susan Hein, Burlington, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 8 cups 2% milk, divided
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- Cinnamon sticks and additional ground nutmeg, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat 4 cups milk until bubbles form around sides of pan. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs and 1 cup sugar until blended. Slowly stir in hot milk; return all to saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat until slightly thickened and a thermometer reads at least 160°, 6-8 minutes, stirring constantly (do not allow to boil). Immediately transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in rum, brandy, nutmeg and remaining milk. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or until cold.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add remaining sugar; beat until soft peaks form. Fold into egg mixture. (Mixture may separate; stir before serving.) If desired, serve with cinnamon sticks and additional nutmeg.