Easy Santa Fe Chicken
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until tender. Add broth and salsa; bring to a boil. Stir in rice and garlic powder. Place chicken over rice; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken; cook 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 165°. Remove from the heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with cilantro if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 339 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 744mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Oct 26, 2017
Really 3.5 stars - Fairly easy. Mild flavor, but could spice it up with different salsa. Kids enjoyed
Mar 4, 2017
This is easy, not expensive, and delicious. Mine was a little salty the first time I made it and I think it was because the broth was a bit salty, otherwise, perfect!
Jan 31, 2015
Oct 31, 2013
This is my families favorite dinner.
Feb 27, 2012
I have made this many times and everyone in the family likes it. Yummy and good for you! I make with brown rice and have to cook the rice a little before I put in the skillet so it softens up better.
Dec 7, 2011
This is a flavourful, easy recipe. I omitted the onions to speed it up a little more. I also used 10 minute rice. I've found that I usually have to add about a half cup of water halfway through the cooking time, but the chicken comes out really nice and juicy. Thanks for the amazing recipe!
Oct 19, 2009
Had this recipe several times. Makes a great meal for pot luck's at the office. Never had to bring home any leftovers.
Sep 23, 2008
This was just okay. I liked how fast this was put together and probably would have enjoyed the taste but some of the rice was hard still after 25 minutes. If I were to make it again, I might add more broth and cook a little longer so the rice cooks up. The chicken was nice and juicy, though.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.