- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 can (5 ounces) evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir the beef, mushrooms, celery and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add broth. Stir in the carrots, potato, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Stir in barley.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes or until barley is tender. Whisk in milk and tomato paste; heat through. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews forEasy Beef Barley Soup
"An Autumn/Winter core recipe!! Soo good. I followed it to the T, except didnt have barley so I researched substitutes, and used wild rice and red beans instead. Still produced that hearty nutty taste!"
"Kids described it as Cheeseburger soup! It was a winner at our house and went into my great recipes file! :)"
"simple, cheap and healthy. We all liked it."
"We thought this was great, but it need more barley. Also I didn't use the milk or tomatoe paste at the end. My husband wants it again."
"This soup was so good. Would make it again."
"We really enjoyed this on a cold wintery day, however I made several adjustments including omitting mushrooms (didn't have any), adding dried parsley, garlic and a bay leaf. I also didn't have any barley so I used 1/2 c quinoa and omitted tomato paste and evaporated milk. I just cooked the quinoa for about 12 min after adding it to the boiling soup. Yum!"
"My husband and i loved this recipe. i did add more mushrooms. There didnt seem to be enought for us."