- 3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1-1/3 cups (8 ounces) chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until fluffy. Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cocoa; add to creamed mixture. Stir in nuts if desired. Spread in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan. Bake at 350° for 15 to 18 minutes. Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over cake; return to oven for 2 to 3 minutes. Using a knife dipped in water, spread the melted marshmallows evenly over cake. Cool. For topping, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until melted and well blended. Remove from heat; stir in cereal. Spread over bars immediately. Chill. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Reviews forDeluxe Chocolate Marshmallow Bars
"I have made this 3 times now and everyone just loves it. It's different than the some old desserts."
"It was a split decision in our family! My husband didn't like the "peanut butter fighting the marshmallow". He would have liked one or the other. But the kids loved it! I would have liked a little more cocoa in the batter. We didn't have Rice Krispies so we used Special K which worked wonderfully. We all did like the crunch! I found that if I was careful in my initial placement of the marshmallows, I didn't have to attempt to spread them. This was one less thing to worry about!"
"It's been a while since I've made these and I don't know why! They're great for taking to a potluck event. Everyone loves them."
"That sounds like a good recipe to make."
"What a great recipe.....it has all of the components of a " gotta keep this in my recipe files" recipe! Makes a large amount of squares so great make-ahead for a large gathering. I would suggest cutting small squares....and use a hot knife! ( won't stick to marshmallow layer that way). Thanks for this recipe!"
"These were a big hit at our last disc golf tournament!"
"My family loved these! (And I even forgot the vanilla!) I didn't have any problems with the marshmallows that other reviewers had mentioned. easy and SO GOOD!"