Creme de Menthe Cream Puff Tree
Total TimePrep: 1-1/2 hours + chilling Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 2/3 cup butter, cubed
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup green creme de menthe
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 6 tablespoons hot water
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks. Cut a small slit in the side of each puff to allow steam to escape. Cool puffs.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form. Fold in creme de menthe. Pipe about 1 tablespoon into each puff. Refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
- For glaze, in a small saucepan, combine butter and chocolate. Cook and stir over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat. Using a whisk, stir in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to make desired consistency for dipping. Stir until smooth and no lumps appear.
- To assemble tree: Separate puffs according to size and shape, choosing the flattest ones for the bottom layer and the smallest ones for the top. Dip the bottoms of the 21 flattest puffs into glaze. Place on a 10-in. round serving platter, in concentric circles forming a solid circle.
- For the second layer, dip bottoms of 15 puffs into the glaze, then position on base layer. Continue building tree, using about 11 puffs in third layer, about 6 puffs in fourth layer, about 4 puffs in fifth layer and 1 puff on top.
- Drizzle remaining glaze over tree, thinning with hot water if necessary.
- Loosely cover tree with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar just before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 mini cream puff: 96 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 31mg sodium, 7g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Feb 12, 2012
This turned out wonderful. Just the PUFF alone. I added my own fillings and my friends just loved it. I made this years ago not same recipe but I felt good doing it again. Thank-You Taste Of Home
Jan 13, 2012
I modified this into a Caramel Apple Puff Tree using apple pie filling and a pecan caramel glaze. Puzzled about building the tree properly.