Creme de Menthe Cookies
This is my mother's Christmas recipe. She made these every year and whenever I smell them baking, I think of her. —Beth Cates, Hampton, Tennessee
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 3/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons green creme de menthe
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Roll each portion of dough between two sheets of waxed paper to 1/4-in. thickness (dough will be soft). Cut with a floured 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 7-8 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and enough creme de menthe to reach a spreading consistency. Spread evenly on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. In a microwave, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Frost cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 191 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 120mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Creme DeMente Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017