Creme de Menthe Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1-1/2 cups cake flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons white (clear) creme de menthe
- Green paste food coloring
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons white (clear) creme de menthe
- Green paste food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add mint extract. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk and creme de menthe, beating well after each addition. Transfer two cups batter to a separate bowl. Mix food coloring paste into remaining batter.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #12 round tip. Spoon the batters alternately into bag. Pipe batter into 12 paper-lined muffin cups until three-fourths full. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, stir the mascarpone and whipping cream together until smooth. Add the confectioners’ sugar and creme de menthe; stir until blended. Transfer half the frosting to a separate bowl and mix food coloring paste into remaining frosting. Stir each portion vigorously until stiff peaks form (do not overmix).
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #12 round tip. Spoon the frostings alternately into the bag. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 372 calories, 24g fat (14g saturated fat), 95mg cholesterol, 222mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 0 fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 11, 2018
I have not made them but was wondering from those that have if the mint extract is really needed. Seems like over kill as Creme de menthe is already very minty. Also, why use green food coloring when creme de menthe is already green. Any feed back would be great!
Dec 20, 2016
This was the worst frosting recipe I have ever tried. I was skeptical because the ratio seemed wrong and it stated that the recipe needed to change if you desired the pictured result. I salvaged costly ingredients to make more of a cream cheese frosting. You cannot simply beat mascarpone cheese,confectioners sugar and whipping cream to create a smooth mixture that holds up to piping. Taste of Home is a site for non-tested amateur recipes. Never again.