Creamy Cheese Rice
The best part about this cheesy rice recipe is that it's great both hot or cold. It's a dish I make often since cheese and rice are staples in my pantry and because it travels well, I like to take it to a picnic or a barbecue.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cubed process cheese (Velveeta)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring the water, rice and salt to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and parsley if desired. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Stir until blended.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 216 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 466mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Cheesy Rice in Reminisce Extra March 2007