- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 butternut squash (2-1/2 pounds), peeled and cubed
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1-1/2 cups 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons sherry or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- In a large saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in the broth, sugar, bay leaf, salt, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon. Add the squash and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Discard bay leaf. In a blender, puree vegetable mixture in batches. Return to the pan. Stir in milk and sherry; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCream of Butternut Soup
"Amazing!! Tumeric is definitely needed, maybe a dash more. I sprinkled pepper in to and topped with croutons. Served with steak hoagies."
"I'm planing to try this recipes on Sunday dinner buffet."
"We made this for Thanksgiving and it was amazing!!! The turmeric definitely gave it an extra zing, and we topped it with sour cream and chopped peanuts. Next time, we're thinking of trying it with roasted butternut squash... any thoughts?"
"This recipe was OK, but I don't think the flavor of butternut squash is for me."
"I didn't have any ground tumeric, so I left it out. I felt like the soup was missing something (probably the tumeric!) so I added a seasoning mixture of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. I think next time I make it I will be sure to have tumeric and I may add some garlic as well. But overall, I liked it."
"Lot of work for a soup. The taste was harsh, and not enjoyable at all."
"Warm & creamy. This is the perfect comfort food. My kids went crazy for it.I followed the directions exactly and it turned out great."