- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 4 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 2 can (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 1 small green peppeer, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 can (8-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add flour; cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. Add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 35-40 minutes. Remove bay leaf before serving. Yield: 6 servings (1-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forCrab and Corn Chowder
"Good recipe, pretty bad directions.Recommend sauteing the celery with the onions otherwise they are a bit too crunchy."
"This recipe is so wonderful!! It tastes just like the best crab corn chowder I had ever eaten in a restaurant in Louisiana....Its the best!"