- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni, quartered
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 slices French bread, toasted
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, bring the tomatoes, soup and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Mash with a potato masher. Add the pepperoni, red and green peppers, mushrooms, garlic, sage, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Ladle into ovenproof bowls. Top each with a slice of bread and sprinkle with cheese. Broil 4 in. from the heat until cheese is melted and bubbly. Yield: 10 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews forContest-Winning Pizza Soup
"Made this soup for my youth cooking class for ages 3-15 and it was a big success! easy to throw together and of course with the pizza theme, it was a big hit with the crowd. Great recipe that can be adapted to suit tastes. Fun to add the cheese at the end too. (We left off the bread). Thanks for the recipe!"