Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 can (12 ounces) cola
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 4-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Add chicken; brown on all sides. Carefully add cola, ketchup, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the chicken reads 170°. Remove the chicken and keep warm.
- Combine the cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually add to the skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Return chicken to pan; heat through.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 211 calories, 8g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 804mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
May 10, 2018
This recipe is going into the regular rotations at our. It was fast and tasty and the chicken stayed moist, which are my top three requirements for a chicken dish. For me, I thought it was a bit bland so next time I'll double the garlic powder and maybe add a dash of hot sauce or balsamic to kick up the flavor.
Apr 9, 2016
My family gets excited when I make this and it's so easy. I have frozen sauce that was left over and used it for another time and it worked out great.
Oct 3, 2015
I have been making this sense I found it in a Taste of Home Magazine years ago.
Sep 3, 2014
Just made this for the family and there was none left very good
Jul 3, 2013
This is a recipe my big sister used to make, it was so fun to make it again! Yum. I added a bit of liquid smoke and used less ketchup in the sauce.
Oct 21, 2012
This is one of our regular rotation recipes. It is quick and easy to make, and chicken comes out very tender and moist. You can easily make 6-8 chicken breasts with this recipe since it makes so much sauce.
Feb 2, 2012
Coming from a family that enjoys zesty, flavorful food, this was a nice surprise. I used one of the more spicer ketchups which made for a deeper flavor. I will definitely make this again!
Jan 30, 2012
My boyfriend and I wanted to cook something for dinner instead of eating out. He wanted chicken and I wanted something easy so we searched and came across this. It was amazing. The flavor was spectacular, and it was easy and fun to cook! I will definitely make this again for the rest of my family.
Nov 10, 2011
My picky kids and picky husband all loved it. I made plenty of sauce to go over rice, too. Just be sure not to over-simmer the chicken, or it will toughen up. Very good recipe!
Sep 15, 2010
It wasn't bad, it wasn't very good. It honestly was pretty bland. It tasted basically like chicken with catsup on it. I can understand why children would like it, but it's very boring...