Coffee Cream Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules, crushed
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 chocolate crumb crust (9 inches)
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Heath candy bar (1.4 ounces), crushed
- In the top of a double boiler, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over boiling water until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in coffee granules.
- Gradually stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to pan. Cook and stir for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat; add butter and vanilla. Cool for 30 minutes. Pour into crust; chill.
- In a bowl, dissolve coffee granules in a small amount of cream. Add sugar, vanilla and remaining cream. Whip until stiff peaks form. Spread over filling; sprinkle with crushed candy bar. Chill.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 423 calories, 24g fat (12g saturated fat), 138mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 2, 2010
I used espresso powder instead of the coffee granules. Of course, I used less powder because the powder is stronger than granules. It was delicious.
Feb 20, 2009
This recipe sounds incredible. I wonder if you could make a chocolate pudding mix - the kind that you cook - and dissolve the instant coffee into it? It sounds like a good substitute to me,,,,