Classic Texas Caviar
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 2 cans (15-1/2 ounces each) black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1 medium green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fat-free Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- Tortilla chips
- In a large bowl, combine the peas, tomatoes, green pepper and onion. In a small bowl, whisk the dressing, lime juice, salt and pepper. Pour over black-eyed pea mixture and stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Stir in avocado just before serving. Serve with chips.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 113 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 522mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
May 10, 2018
This was tasty. I think I’d enjoy it more wih a variety of beans, not just chick peas. Will definitely try it again.
Jun 28, 2017
My grandma used to always call this Cowboy Caviar - this recipe reminded me exactly of what she would make. Super easy and a real crowd-pleaser for any potluck. Definitely make sure to add the avocado last so it doesn't brown up/get bruised from the mixing.
Mar 13, 2015
I love this easy recipe, it is a great item to make and take to gatherings. My dish is always empty when I take it home.
Jul 10, 2012
Excellent! I leave out the avocado just because I don't like avocado...otherwise this recipe is quick and easy to make and its delicious! I have served it at a couple of different gatherings and always get compliments.
May 23, 2009
Love this recipe! And everyone who tries it loves it, too. And it's pretty healthy I think. Maybe not the chips though.