- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into quarters
- 1 whole garlic bulb, cloves separated and peeled
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- Fresh thyme leaves, optional
- Place potatoes and garlic cloves in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat butter and cream; keep warm. Drain potatoes and garlic; return to pan. Add the horseradish, salt, pepper and butter mixture; mash to reach desired consistency. Garnish with thyme if desired. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews forChunky Garlic Mashed Potatoes
"I've been making these for many years, but I also add chopped onions with the potatoes and garlic.Query -- The description says "a whole bulb of roasted garlic."Ingredients and instructions say "boil!"Roasted garlic and Boiled garlic are two totally different things!"
"Yum! I made this with red potatoes and left the skin on. They were delicious even though I didn't have any horseradish on hand!"
"I made these with red potatoes, skins on, and it was excellent. So convenient to cook the garlic right in the water with the potatoes. Loved the addition of horseradish too (I love anything with horseradish), but would like to also see how it would taste with just garlic."
"I wanted to try this first before xmas dinner and they were wonderful with lots of flavor! Definetly a keeper!"
"Thought I'd do a practice run by making these potatoes before I put them on the list for Christmas dinner. Now I can't wait to make them again! Super easy and the garlic was not overpowering. Love to mash potatoes the old fashion way so they don't get gummy. Perfect blend of buttery creamy flavor. Simple was never so flavorful!"