Chocolate Nut Brownies
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, divided
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla until smooth. Combine dry ingredients; stir into batter. Fold in half of nuts.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with remaining nuts. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until brownies pull away from the sides of the pan. Cool on wire rack. Cut into squares.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 194 calories, 9g fat (2g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 2, 2016
This is the recipe I remember from my childhood (before packaged mixes). Rich and chocolatey, they bake up just right - not too cake-like, but not too moist. I used a dark baking pan and increased cooking time by 5 min.
Sep 5, 2012