Chocolate-Dipped Pretzel Rods
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Cook: 10 min.
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 3 cups chopped toasted almonds
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 packages (10 ounces each) pretzel rods
- 2 packages (10 to 12 ounces each) white baking chips
- 2 packages (10 to 12 ounces each) dark chocolate chips
- Assorted sprinkles, optional
- Place almonds in a shallow dish. In a large glass measuring cup, microwave caramels and water on high until caramels are melted, stirring every minute.
- Dip three-fourths of each pretzel into caramel, allowing excess to drip off. (Reheat caramel in microwave if mixture becomes too thick for dipping.) Roll in almonds. Place on waxed paper until set.
- In a microwave, melt white baking chips; stir until smooth. Dip half of the caramel-coated pretzels in white baking chips, allowing excess to drip off. Add sprinkles if desired; return to waxed paper to set. Repeat with chocolate chips and remaining pretzels.
- Store in airtight containers or wrap in cellophane gift bags and tie with ribbon.
Nutrition Facts1 pretzel: 245 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 3mg cholesterol, 278mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Jan 8, 2018
Great project for a 4-H club or similar kids' group. Double boiler works best. Looks great when finished. Could be made more adult tasting with a little sea salt on the dark chocolate ones!
Dec 19, 2015
Use parchment paper instead of waxed. You won't be sorry!
Jun 9, 2013
I gave these out as Christmas gifts at the office and everyone raved about them.I recommend using a double boiler instead of the microwave to melt caramels and chocolate. It is easier to check how each is melting and to keep it warm enough for dipping.
Dec 3, 2012
i didnt like how the carmel stuck to the wax paper so i thin next time ill try something eles instead of wax paper.
Apr 27, 2011
i use a double boiler. they always melt pretty good for me.
Oct 1, 2008
for some reason i cant get caramel to melt. Is there a a certain kind that melts the best.