- 20 sheets phyllo dough (18 inches x 14 inches)
- 1-1/4 cups butter (no substitutes), melted
- 1 pound finely chopped walnuts
- 1 package (12 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Butter a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Layer eight sheets of phyllo dough in pan, brushing each with butter. In a large bowl, combine the nuts, chocolate chips, sugar, cinnamon and lemon peel. Sprinkle 2 cups over top layer of phyllo.
- Layer and brush four sheets of dough with butter. Top with 2 or more cups nut mixture. Layer and brush four more sheets of dough with butter; top with remaining nut mixture. Top with the remaining dough, brushing each sheet with butter. Drizzle any remaining butter over top.
- Using a sharp knife, cut baklava into 1-1/2-in. diamonds. Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, combine the syrup ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Pour over warm baklava. Cool completely in pans on wire racks. Yield: 50 pieces.
Reviews forChocolate Baklava
"I make this almost every Christmas and it's always a hit with family and friends! Love it!"
"I see all 5 star reviews and i'm dumb founded. I was NOT impressed with this recipe. I've done other baklava recipes w/no problems. I bake and cook quite a bit. I found this recipe to be a complete disaster. It is the first and only TofH recipe I've ever been displeased with. Its a very expensive recipe to be so unhappy with."
"Made this for my bunco group and it was a hit! Will be making again for a company work function. Love it!!"
"I have made this several times, and it is absolutely delicious. The prep has several steps, but is definitely easy and well worth it."
"I made this for my son's Greek feast in History. The kids loved it! It is expensive to make with a pound of walnuts. I did cut the butter down to a cup. I buttered every other layer and it didn't get too greasy. It was perfect!"
"People tell me that it is the best baklava they have ever eaten."
"This is the most awesome baklava recipe I have made. It always gets rave reviews every time I make it."