These were a huge hit at a cookout I attended recently! You can use two tablespoons of chopped crystallized ginger in place of the fresh ginger if you like. —Pat Barnes, Panama City, Florida
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 3 hours
Makesabout 6 dozen
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 2 pounds lean ground pork
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, combine first 4 ingredients. Add pork, water chestnuts and bread crumbs; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape mixture into 1-in. balls. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- In a 5- or 6-qt. slow cooker, mix cornstarch and juice until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Add meatballs; stir gently to coat. Cook, covered, on low until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened, 3-4 hours.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled meatball mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, stirring gently and adding a little broth if necessary.
Test Kitchen tips