Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/4 hours
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 package (32 ounces) frozen fully cooked homestyle meatballs
- 2 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice in a 2-cup measuring cup; add enough water to measure 2 cups. In a small saucepan, mix brown sugar, cornstarch, vinegar and juice mixture until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened.
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine meatballs, peppers, drained pineapple and sauce. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until meatballs are heated through and peppers are tender.
- Stir in cherries; cook, covered, on low 15-30 minutes longer or until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If desired, serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without rice): 520 calories, 30g fat (14g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 837mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Feb 1, 2018
Super easy and very good. The sauce has the perfect amount of tanginess for the beef meatballs.
Dec 16, 2017
as with other meatball recipes I was hoping for home made meatballs. not a frozen meatball lover but guess I coukd give 'er a try
Oct 13, 2017
Mom used to make these and it was always a treat. I was wondering how to find the recipe!!! Thank you!!!
Nov 9, 2013
I have made this several times and the whole family loves it :)
Jul 6, 2013
This recipe was so good! Everyone loved it! It's almost identical to my mother-in-law's recipe that she's been making for decades. I only made a couple of adjustments... I added 1/4 c. soy sauce (in place of some of the water) and changed the brown sugar amount to 3/4 c. Also, I reduced the vinegar to 1/3 c. Everything else stayed the same. I'll definitely be making this again! Very good!
Apr 10, 2013
Oct 24, 2012
Amazing, I fed it to 40 children (making 3 batches)and all but 3 gobbled it up. The teachers asked for the recipie and were amazed at how easy it was to make
Jul 24, 2012
Absolutely fabulous. I do not have a crock pot, so I made it on the stove top and the sauce was a little runny. I did not add extra cornstarch because I wanted to see how it would turn out. Would definitely make again with the slight adjustment. I also used a variety of bell peppers for color. Turned out great!
May 27, 2012
This is a favorite birthday dinner in my family with a few slight changes. We don't include the cherries and we serve it over egg noodles instead of rice. Also if you add in some ground ginger or pickled ginger to taste it is wonderful.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.