Hawaiian Beef Dish
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- In a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter until crisp-tender, 5 minutes.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to the juice to measure 1/2 cup. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, vinegar, salt and pineapple juice mixture until smooth. Add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in beef and pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 515 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Dec 30, 2011
I love the flavors of this recipe! I usually leave out the celery and pepper and just put in extra pineapple and onion. Sometimes I'll mix in a little cornstarch too to make it thicker. It's just as good without rice as well.
Jul 27, 2011
I thought this dish looked a little odd, but it was fabulous! I loved the blend of flavors, I will definitely make this again.