Hawaiian Beef Dish
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced celery
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot cooked rice
- In a small skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside. In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic in butter for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add enough water to the juice to measure 1/2 cup. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, vinegar, salt and pineapple juice mixture until smooth. Add to skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes. Stir in beef and pineapple; heat through. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 515 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 75g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 4g fiber), 26g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 30, 2011
I love the flavors of this recipe! I usually leave out the celery and pepper and just put in extra pineapple and onion. Sometimes I'll mix in a little cornstarch too to make it thicker. It's just as good without rice as well.
Jul 27, 2011
I thought this dish looked a little odd, but it was fabulous! I loved the blend of flavors, I will definitely make this again.