Saucy Asian Meatballs
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place turkey in a large bowl. Sprinkle with garlic, 1 teaspoon soy sauce and ginger; mix lightly but thoroughly. Shape into 1-in. balls; place in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake until cooked through, 20-25 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, combine vinegar, tomato paste, molasses, pepper sauce and remaining soy sauce; cook and stir over medium heat 3-5 minutes. Add meatballs; heat through, stirring gently to coat.
Nutrition Facts1 meatball: 26 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 87mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 12, 2014
The sauce for this was terrible. Looked nothing like the pic in Nov,2014 magazine. This was dark like the soy sauce, not red at all. Sounded good. Too bad it wasn't.
Nov 3, 2014
My family only liked them after quite a bit of adjustments. Sorry. I had to add to the sauce - salt, more garlic, onion powder, ketchup, and even some cinnamon before the sauce was approved as good.
Oct 19, 2014
I know this would raise the calorie count, but could these be made with 85% lean ground beef and keep the flavor intended? Thanks for your help.
May 22, 2011
I followed the recipe exactly, with two exceptions. I used grass-fed ground beef, and omitted the hot sauce (I have toddlers). I doubled everything since I needed a big batch.This recipe is delicious. I love the fact that the meatballs don't call for a lot of bread crumbs and eggs and such. Just some simple seasonings. They're delicious. And the sauce is wonderful, too. If you're serving these at a party and need to keep them warm over a period of time, you can add chicken broth to the sauce to keep it from drying out.Excellent recipe! Will make again!
Feb 8, 2011
These are really easy to make and delicious! I used ground chicken instead of ground turkey.
Feb 16, 2010
my kids and husband love this recipe; I serve them over rice.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.