Chiles Relleno Quiche Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
- 2 to 4 drops hot pepper sauce, optional
- 1. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
- 2. Sprinkle cornmeal over bottom of pastry shell. In a small bowl, combine cheeses; set aside 1/2 cup for topping. Add chilies to remaining cheese mixture; sprinkle into crust.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, cilantro and hot pepper sauce if desired. Pour into crust; sprinkle with reserved cheese mixture.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
Freeze option: Cover and freeze unbaked quiche. To use, remove from freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Preheat oven to 350°. Place quiche on a baking sheet; cover edge loosely with foil. Bake as directed, increasing time as necessary for a knife inserted in the center to come out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 444 calories, 31g fat (18g saturated fat), 178mg cholesterol, 520mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Reviews for Chiles Relleno Quiche
"Do you drain the can of green chilies?"
"Simple and easy I used Mozzarella instead of Monterey Jack cheese that is what I had."
"now a family favorite - I used pepper jack cheese. Wonderful recipe thanks."
"This is a favorite at our house. I use green Tabasco and a little bit more than the 2 to 4 drops. The filling can be mixed ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator, separate from the crust."