Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, divided
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cans (21 ounces each) cherry pie filling
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with foil, letting ends extend up sides; grease foil.
- Combine flour and brown sugar; cut in shortening until fine crumbs form. Stir in 1/2 cup nuts and coconut. Set aside 1/2 cup crumb mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture into prepared pan. Bake until lightly browned, 12-15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for filling, beat cream cheese, sugar, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Spread over hot crust. Bake 15 minutes. Spread pie filling on top. Combine remaining nuts and reserved crumbs; sprinkle over cherries. Bake 15 minutes more. Cool. Lifting with foil, remove mixture from pan. Cut into bars. Refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 251 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 9, 2017
These delicious cherry bars are awesome!! I've been makings these for years!!
Jun 26, 2017
I made these bars but the cooking times seem to be way off. First, the cheesecake filling did not set up in the 15 minutes of time. This is the first time I made this so I wan't sure if it was supposed to be set and I went ahead and put the cherry pie filling on top anyway. It says spread it but I wasn't able to spread because the cheesecake layer was so soft and liquidy. I baked it the next 15 minutes after and it was still quite jiggly and definitely not set. I baked for at least 10-12 additional minutes more than was specified stopping to check every so often. The edges of the dessert were set and could be removed into a bar but the middle was still not set. We scooped it on a plate and ate with a fork. Tasted good. I followed this recipe exactly. Something isn't right with this but I reviewed it over and over and I did what it said.
Jan 13, 2016
I also made this desert for a bible study at my home. Everyone liked it. One friend said it was an explosion of flavor on his tounge. Great desert, like cherry cheese cake in a pan. Yum!
Oct 13, 2013
I absolutely loved these bars....So did the kids so that makes it a win win for me.
Jul 30, 2013
I have had this recipe for some time and it is always a hit each time I make it. Recently made it for my Bible Study class, it was all eaten and three people asked for the recipe. And yes, go with the walnuts. You won't be sorryl. Sooooooo Good!
Nov 23, 2012
The crust made with chopped walnuts is so so much better than with graham crackers.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.