Cherry Coconut Treats
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + chilling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups unsweetened finely shredded coconut
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 jars (10 ounces each) maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl, mix the first five ingredients; stir in melted butter. Press onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In another bowl, mix filling ingredients; pour over crust. Bake until edges are lightly browned, 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack 1 hour. Refrigerate, covered, 4 hours before cutting. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Editor's NoteLook for unsweetened coconut in the baking or health food section.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 362 calories, 20g fat (14g saturated fat), 32mg cholesterol, 202mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 28, 2018
Making this today but I too already thot 1 can NØT 2 of sweetened condensed milk-I don’t need to bounce off walls especially since I will watch the Dodger WS game 5 today-gotta be focused
Jul 30, 2018
i love coconut and cherries, so this recipe is a win win for me! I also only used one can of sweetened condensed milk and it was delicious. This will be a tasty and beautiful addition to my holiday platter!
Jan 4, 2016
Made these for Christmas this year. They are very good. I did as another cook suggested and used only one can of sweetened condensed milk. The sweetness was just right for us. My guests also enjoyed munching on them Christmas day. If you like coconut, you will enjoy these. The cherries make them look very inviting.
Dec 6, 2014
I did make adjustments to this recipe and I just used 1 can of sweetened condensed milk and 2 cups of sweetened flaked coconut. I also used 1/2 cup crushed Heath candy bars in the cherry mixture and I used about 1 cup total of maraschino cherries, chopped after draining them. I did keep the amount of extracts the same! I used margarine instead of butter to reserve my butter supply! I greased and floured my baking pan. For me this works best! This way, I can remove the cut bars easily from the baking pan! I baked 40 minutes at 325o F. This recipe is a lovely one for holidays especially around Christmas or even on Valentine's Day or President's Day! I consider this recipe a keeper! Thank you for sharing this recipe with Taste of Home! delowenstein