- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) finely shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed and chopped
- In a saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; set potatoes and liquid aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute ham and onion in butter until onion is tender. Stir in the flour and pepper until smooth; gradually add milk and reserved cooking liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low. Add the cheese, broccoli and reserved potatoes; cook and stir until cheese is melted and soup is heated through. Yield: 7 servings.
Reviews forCheesy Ham 'N' Potato Soup
"I also add cooked crumbled bacon , if no broccoli try corn or carrots . Then it's somewhat like a Coen chowder. We usually make this on Christmas eve. Delicious 5 stars"
"This is a keeper! I had no broccoli so I added chopped celery & carrots to my onion mixture for a bit of nutrition and color. Great on a cold night."
"My sister-in-law whipped this together during a recent visit to her house on a bitter cold day. I was impressed how she was able to make a soup from scratch in such a short period of time. The soup was hearty, delicious, and cozy. She had copied the recipe down from the magazine so I quickly looked it up on the Taste of Home website when I returned home because I know I'll be making it for my family."
"I just tried this recipe tonight and it was a big hit at my house! I love it because it has the 3 qualities I love the most about a meal...cheap, easy to make, and it tastes good! My son made me promise to save the left overs so that he could eat them tomorrow and also made me promise that I would make this again! The only way I altered the recipe was I didn't use broccoli since I have some picky eaters, and I added a little bit more cheese."
"I'll be making this as one of my 3 soups for our Christmas get-together but I'll add sour cream and garnish with crisp potato shreds. Will use the corn rather than broccoli also since more child friendly and perhaps use a bit of parsley for color. I also use homemade chicken broth rather than water for added depth. I'm rating this 4 stars as it takes the additions to make it a 5!"
"I altered it slightly. Instead of broccoli I used corn, instead of the 1 c of reserved cooking liquid I used cream of chicken soup, and instead of shredded cheddar cheese I used Velveeta cheese cubed. I also added a little chili powder for a little spice. Served it with biscuits and the whole family loved it:)"
"Really simple recipe that is delicious!"