Cheesy Broccoli Soup in a Bread Bowl
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 8 ounces)
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water or additional chicken stock
- 2-1/2 cups Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 small round bread loaves (about 8 ounces each), optional
- Optional toppings: Crumbled cooked bacon, additional shredded cheddar cheese, ground nutmeg and pepper
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion and garlic until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in broccoli, carrot, stock, cream and seasonings; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Stir in cheese until melted.
- If using bread bowls, cut a slice off the top of each bread loaf; hollow out bottoms, leaving 1/4-in.-thick shells (save removed bread for another use). Fill with soup just before serving.
- If desired, serve soup with toppings.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without bread bowl): 422 calories, 32g fat (19g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 904mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Nov 24, 2019
I make this all the time because it's my favorite soup recipe. I love the addition of putting it in a bread bowl since I always dip baguettes in mine.
Nov 9, 2019
This is an excellent recipe! The first time I made it, I used half and half, but the second time, I didn't have any, so I used a can of evaporated milk, and it turned out just as good. I did not make it with a bread bowl, but did serve it with crusty bread.
Oct 22, 2019
This copycat recipe did not disappoint! The only change I made was using one cup of cream and one cup of milk since I didn't have any half-and-half. It's a delicious five-star winner!
Oct 11, 2019
Best broccoli cheese soup that I’ve ever had. None of it went to waste. The only thing I did differently was to use my immersion blender a bit at the end to break up some of the broccoli. It tasted amazing!
Oct 7, 2019
Wonderful recipe - we're g;uten free so I was happy it was thickened with corn starch instead of flour. increased all veggies a little (because veggies!), used whole milk and sharp cheddar. Served with Against the Grain Rosemary baguettes. Terrific!
Sep 5, 2019
Everyone, including the kids, LOVED this soup. I served it in homemade bread bowls, but the soup is SO good that we refilled our bowls long before we were tempted to start eating the bread. I will definitely keep this recipe handy in the future!
Aug 13, 2019
1 made this this weekend. It was out of this world. The only thing I did different was that I bleached the broccoli
Aug 12, 2019
This has become a family favorite! Easy to make
Aug 11, 2019
Delicious! Tastes so good on a cold day! I usually don't serve it in a bread bowl.
Jun 12, 2019
Loved this soup!