Cheesy Broccoli Soup in a Bread Bowl
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 8 ounces)
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water or additional chicken stock
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 small round bread loaves (about 8 ounces each), optional
- Optional Toppings: Crumbled cooked bacon, additional shredded cheddar cheese, ground nutmeg and pepper
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion and garlic until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in broccoli, carrot, stock, cream and seasonings; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Stir in cheese until melted.
- If using bread bowls, cut a slice off the top of each bread loaf; hollow out bottoms, leaving 1/4-in.-thick shells (save removed bread for another use). Fill with soup just before serving. If desired, serve with toppings.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup (calculated without bread bowl): 422 calories, 32g fat (19g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 904mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Jan 25, 2019
I can't rate recipe as I have not tried this exact version of Panera Bread's copycat recipe. I agree with the other reviews though stating you should not give negative comments on recipes when you have not even tried the recipe! If you have a personal preference then say specifically its your personal preference, but we don't need the "nutritional police" going around leaving negative reviews solely on the basis of nutritional analysis. I can't find anywhere in the description nor recipe where the author states it is healthy so until you try the recipe keep comments and ratings to yourself.
Jan 1, 2019
I did not have bread bowls, but I used 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese and for the thickening, I'd used 6 Tbsp. additional chicken stock with the cornstarch. This soup is DELICIOUS and I'd made it back on 11/14/18. This is a real keeper!
Apr 16, 2018
Pretty tasty, overall, for whenever you want something rich. Rich is not to be confused with "healthy" (as with almost any soup including cheese)...something apparently lost on Lynette...even though it wasn't listed as "healthy". I get tired of people telling me how to change a recipe...if you don't want to make it...don't.
Apr 16, 2018
This s a comment, not a review. With salt and cheese and chicken broth the sodium is too high to be healthy for many.I will make it with no added salt and low sodium chicken broth. Anyone who thinks it needs more salt can add it.
Jan 25, 2018
Nov 6, 2017
This is a really tasty soup! The cornstarch thickened it perfectly, and the bayleaf and nutmeg added just a little something. I love the carrot in it, I also substituted 1 cup of cauliflower for 1 cup broccoli. I used medium cheddar, but think I will use sharp next time, as I like a stronger cheese flavor. (I also did not have bread bowls)
Aug 20, 2017
I have made it a few times now. It has a better flavor the second day. I follow the directions except I use low sodium broth and I don't add the 1/2 tsp of salt called for in the recipe otherwise it's too salty. I use a sharp cheddar for more flavor.
Mar 5, 2017
This lives up to its name as a cheesy broccoli cheese soup. I personally can't get enough broccoli, but this was tasty and exactly as advertised. My husband really loved it. The nutmeg seems unusual but adds a nice, complex flavor.
Feb 28, 2017
It's not my favorite....a little cheesy for me. But it was fun to put together and I liked the bread bowl.
Jan 26, 2017
Just made this for dinner. So delicious!!! Tastes like it could be from Panera, or any restaurant! I was hesitant to add the nutmeg & bay leaf, but I followed the recipe exactly & it is great! Will be making this again!