Pears and sharp cheddar have always been one of my favorite flavor combos. This recipe brings the two together in a creamy, delicious soup. I like to serve it with a warm baguette and fresh fruit for lunch or a light supper. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
Recommended: 60 Extra-Cozy Potluck Recipes for Fall
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium ripe pears, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Fresh pear slices, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute onion and garlic until tender, 7-9 minutes. Stir in flour and paprika until blended; cook and stir 2 minutes. Gradually stir in broth. Add chopped pears; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until pears are tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan. Add cheese and pepper; cook and stir over low heat until cheese is melted, 3-5 minutes. If desired, top with pear slices. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Cheddar Pear Soup in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017