Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups grated carrots
- CHUNKY FROSTING:
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and oil. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, allspice and salt; gradually add to egg mixture. Stir in carrots.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 325° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing form pans to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in the coconut, pecans and raisins. Frost cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 326 calories, 18g fat (5g saturated fat), 51mg cholesterol, 187mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
May 11, 2017
I've made these cupcakes twice and both times they have over flowed. The second time I decreased the filling to 1/2 per cup and had the same problem. They taste great but given I was making them for a wedding, they did not look great. Won't be trying them again. Very frustrating.
Oct 9, 2016
These were excellent! I used fresh carrots right out of our garden, but used a different frosting recipe. The cake had a great texture and was very moist.
Apr 13, 2016
Made these to take to a tea and added just a decorative cream cheese icing "star" on the top of them- I made mine into mini muffins. This is a great recipe- I omitted the raisins.
Sep 20, 2015
OMG....I don't like carrot cake but it's my husbands favorite so I made these for him last night. I followed the directions as written but omitted the all spice and raisins and I must say these cupcakes taste GREAT!!! My daughter even likes them and she hates carrots. I will be adding this to my recipe collection.
Mar 21, 2015
QUESTIONI live in Ct and my boyfriend just moved to La, is it possible for me to overnight these cupcakes to him if I wrap them tightly without frosting them? My biggest concern would be the best part, the cream cheese frosting.! Can that be mailed and still stay safe to eat in 24 hrs of shipping ?
Mar 15, 2015
Can the recipe be made as a cake?
Nov 26, 2014
I have been making these cupcakes since the recipe was published in TOH almost 15 years ago. They are the best carrot cupcakes I have ever tasted, and I have had many. I was asked to bring a dessert to share Thanksgiving evening and I have no doubt these will be a hit.
Dec 1, 2013
This recipe IS a great one to use! I believe I'd prepared the icing called for in this recipe! I would definitely use this recipe again. Thank you, Doreen Kelly, for sharing this recipe with Tate of Home! delowenstein
May 17, 2013
Great recipe! Fairly easy to make, and the results were amazing! I didn't have all spice handy so skipped it. I also reduced the amount of sugar in the frosting. My family loved it :)
Apr 25, 2013
made these this morning left out the rasinsthere are wonderful thank you so much for this
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.