Moist Carrot Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil and egg until well blended. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in carrots.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine frosting ingredients; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 226 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 244mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 4, 2015
Apr 15, 2014
The cupcakes earned a 5 star, but the cream cheese frosting was way too runny and I had to add a lot more confectioners to it and I still couldn't get it to the right consistency. Could the recipe have an error in it, such as maybe the cream cheese should have been 6 tablespoons, instead of 6 ounces?
Apr 11, 2014
These were delish! I like to make mini cupcakes just because I am "into portion control" right now. They made a great snack to take to work and share. They also kept well as we did not eat them all the first day or two.
Apr 10, 2014
I really enjoyed these moist cupcakes; used two brown bananas instead of applesauce, turned out great , didn't bother with the frosting!
Apr 4, 2014
I wondered the same thing if this could be made into a cake instead of cupcakes. I cannot see why it couldn't. Have made it yet because of this reason.....
Apr 3, 2014
could this be made as a cake? Not really fond of cupcakes. haven't made these yet= reason for just 1 star
Apr 3, 2014
Love carrot cake, may try to add pineapple in place if applesauce.
Mar 3, 2013
Way good! Moist and lovely. I have never made cream cheese frosting before. Easy and, even better, the perfect consistency to spread on the cupcakes without having to adjust the recipe. Thanks!
Jun 8, 2012
Cake part was great--good flavor and very moist. I added a lot of extra powdered sugar to the icing though since it was rather runny and not sweet enough for me.
May 22, 2012
Extreme moist and satisfying?
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.