Caramel Pecan Treasures
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 30 caramels, halved and flattened
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Place a half-caramel on each cookie. Melt the chocolate chips and shortening; drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle with pecans. Let stand until firm.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 211 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 25, 2010
I must have used the old caramels because mine didn't turn out that great. Next time I plan on microwaving the caramels first and then adding them to the cookie.
Nov 11, 2009
I made these cookies last Christmas and they were YUMMY! I didn't think they took any extra time and they were definately impressive. Just make sure you use "fresh" caramels and not ones sitting in your cupboard for how long?