Caramel Pecan Treasures
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + standing Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 30 caramels, halved and flattened
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets; flatten slightly. Bake at 325° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Place a half-caramel on each cookie. Melt the chocolate chips and shortening; drizzle over cookies. Sprinkle with pecans. Let stand until firm.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 211 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 97mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 25, 2010
I must have used the old caramels because mine didn't turn out that great. Next time I plan on microwaving the caramels first and then adding them to the cookie.
Nov 11, 2009
I made these cookies last Christmas and they were YUMMY! I didn't think they took any extra time and they were definately impressive. Just make sure you use "fresh" caramels and not ones sitting in your cupboard for how long?