Salted Pecan Shortbread Squares
My shortbread squares are the ultimate go-to for cookie trays and gift-giving. The buttery caramel and toasted nuts make it a tough to eat just one. —Diana Ashcraft, Monmouth, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 13x9-in. baking pans with foil, letting ends extend up sides of pan.
- Place flour, confectioners' sugar, cornstarch and salt in a food processor; pulse until blended. Add butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. Divide mixture between prepared pans; press onto bottom of pans. Bake 10-12 minutes or until light brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, melt butter in a large saucepan. Stir in brown sugar, corn syrup and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook and stir until sugar is completely dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate chips, cream and vanilla until smooth. Stir in pecans. Spread over crusts.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until filling is bubbly. Cool completely in pans on wire racks. Using foil, lift the shortbread out of pans. Gently peel off foil; cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 201 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 70mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Salted Chocolate Pecan Shortbread Squares in Taste of Home December 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.