VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 18 lollipop sticks
- Dark or white chocolate chips, melted
- Line two baking sheets with foil; coat with cooking spray. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, water, corn syrup and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Using a pastry brush dipped in water, wash down the side of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals.
- Carefully stir in butter, one piece at a time. Cook until a candy thermometer reads 310° (hard-crack stage), stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool until slightly thickened, about 2-3 minutes. Coat a metal measuring tablespoon with cooking spray; drop caramel by tablespoonfuls onto prepared pans. (Reheat mixture over low heat if necessary). Immediately press a lollipop stick into the center of each.
- Cool completely on prepared pans. Decorate as desired with melted chocolate. Refrigerate until set, about 10 minutes. Store between pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Caramel Lollipops in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2014