Butternut Squash with Whole Grains
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4 hours
Makes12 servings (3/4 cup each)
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup uncooked whole grain brown and red rice blend
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Stir in broth.
- Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until grains are tender. Stir in spinach before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 97 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Jan 11, 2018
Healthy and delicious recipe! Any dinner that I can make in a slow cooker is a winner for me! It makes life easy and helps get rid of that "I guess we'll go out for dinner, we have nothing to eat" excuse!
Jan 8, 2018
I found it needed more spice for my families tastes. However, I enjoyed the use of the rice medley I used--made it more "nutty" flavor.
Jan 16, 2016
Tried this using just brown rice and it came out very bland. Also, when mixing the ingredients, some of the rice sits on the cubed squash never reaching the liquid. This left a lot of hard pieces of rice throughout the dish. It looks so pretty. Was hoping it would have come out better.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.