- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 package (13 ounces) smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 4 cups small fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Reduced-fat sour cream and Louisiana-style hot sauce, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add sausage; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until browned. Stir in broccoli; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Add water, tomatoes and seasonings; bring to a boil. Stir in rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat; stir rice mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed and cheese is melted. If desired, serve with sour cream and hot sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBroccoli, Rice and Sausage Dinner
"I liked how quick this recipe came together, but made many adjustments based on previous reviews. I used Rotel instead of regular diced tomatoes, chicken broth instead of water, minced garlic instead of garlic powder, added onion, and doubled the other seasonings. Came out pretty good, but it's almost an entirely different recipe."
"I have made this recipe twice and it definitely needed tweaked. I sauteed onion and fresh garlic with the sausages. I still used Penzey's Roasted Garlic and vegetable broth in place of the water. With these changes, my husband and I enjoyed the dish. It was quick, made plenty for leftovers and there was only one pan to clean up. I would definitely recommend with a few changes for more flavor."
"My family enjoy this dish. It does need a little more flavor so next time I will use more garlic powder and cheese."