- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Rinse and sort beans; soak according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse beans, discarding liquid. Transfer beans to a 3-qt. slow cooker. Stir in water, brown sugar, onion, apple juice, bacon, maple syrup, mustard and cinnamon. Cook, covered, on low 10-12 hours or until beans are tender. Stir in salt. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forBrenda's Baked Beans
"This is a wonderful recipe for baked beans. My son makes his own maple syrup and I use it in this recipe."
"Tried but came up short, my family still prefers mine. Nice try but you never know until you do try"
"Good recipe. With the brown sugar, maple syrup and apple juice, my husband thought a little sweet for him. Reduced it next time and also eliminated the cinnamon. Better for us that way. Thanks."
"Everyone loved these! I used pancake syrup after I realized I was out of the real thing. Decent substitute but would be better with actual maple syrup. I forgot to soak the beans overnight so I cooked them in my pressure cooker for 15 minutes @ 15 lbs pressure, drained them and continued with the other steps."