Breaded Chicken Patties
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/3 cups milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon onion salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- Sandwich rolls, split
- Lettuce leaves and tomato slices, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and celery in 3 tablespoons butter until tender. Combine flour and 1 cup milk. Gradually add to pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add parsley, seasonings and chicken. Remove from the heat. Chill until completely cooled.
- Shape chicken mixture into six patties, using about 1/3 cup mixture for each patty. Place crumbs and remaining milk in separate shallow bowls. Roll patties in crumbs, then dip into milk; roll again in crumbs.
- In a large skillet, cook patties in remaining butter for 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve on rolls with lettuce and tomato if desired.
- Uncooked patties may be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To prepare frozen patties: Cook in butter for 5-6 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 636 calories, 56g fat (33g saturated fat), 181mg cholesterol, 1546mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein.
Jul 15, 2018
These are amazing! I followed one of the recommendations to add an egg to the milk. And then didn’t pat them down too flat so they were just a bit bigger than a slider. Also don’t flip it over too soon while cooking. Once on each side. Lastly, I seasoned my chicken before I cooked it so next time I’ll leave out some of the salt from the recipe. Absolutely delicious!!
Jul 22, 2017
this is what i did and it actually stayed together i made the top portion as directed but when it came to the mik and crumbs. In the milk i putt one egg so it would stay together and the i dipped the patty in the milk first and then crumbs and then milk again and crumbs it stuck together and my husband liked it and he doesnt like or eat chicken very much
Oct 26, 2015
I added cayenne pepper. I also compressed patty after first application of bread crumbs.
Oct 13, 2012
I was the same way in that the patties fell apart. Even tried to flash freeze them first just to give them more staying power, but they still fell apart. Not the texture I was looking for and I followed the recipe to a 't'. I would love to figure out what to do to make them not fall apart.
Sep 24, 2012
I made these twice, thinking I made a mistake the first time because they fell apart, but had great flavor. They do not hold together well at all, but we really like the flavor, so I call it Hot Chicken Salad Sandwhiches.
Apr 3, 2012
It tasted pretty good; however, I must have done something wrong because the patties did not form well. They fell apart when I put them in the bread crumbs and then in the pan. I'm not sure what happened, but it was a disaster.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.