Blood Orange Caprese Salad
A colorful twist on the classic caprese salad of mozzarella, basil and tomato, this one uses blood oranges in place of the tomato and is flavored with pomegranate instead of basil.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
Makes6 servings (2/3 cup dressing)
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 4 medium blood oranges, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, combine the pomegranate juice, sugar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil; cook until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat. Stir in brown sugar. Cool to room temperature.
- Line six salad plates with lettuce; top with orange and cheese slices. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon oil and 2 teaspoons pomegranate syrup (save remaining syrup for another use). Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and salt.