- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in pepper and extract. Add eggs, one at a time, beating very well after each addition. Add flour alternately with cream and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 70-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forBlack Pepper Pound Cake
"I followed the directions exactly and with it just won Best cake in the in 2017 Washington State Fair. It is also a favorite among my co-workers. If fresh ground pepper is used, 1 Tbs. is plenty for a kick at the end."
"Wonderful!! I used buttermilk instead of cream and we agree more pepper is great. This is a keeper! Just sorry it took me so long to find this gem!"
"LOVE this cake! It's a family favorite and a delightful surprise to all who try it."
"This may have replaced my favorite pound cake recipe. Everyone's favorite at my place. I upped the pepper to 3 tablespoons (yes we really like fresh ground pepper) and added 3 tablespoons of Limoncello and the juice of 2 lemons and zest. This one really pops!"
"Surprisingly delicious. I made it for a friend who devours pepper. Everyone loved this recipe. Just gives a little kick."
"I didn't personally like it but it is a winner at my workplace. One co-worker in particular simply loves it. So I will be making it for her birthday this year. S.W...Chattanooga"